ABOUT THE ARTIST
Marc W Leitzel is a 2006 Honors graduate of the University of Rhode Island Fine Arts Program. Capable in a wide array of growing media, Marc's works centers on a sympathetic depiction of the human form, always rendered with an inventive mix of practiced realism and poetic imagination. His work has been screened and exhibited throughout festivals and art shows in the northeastern United States, from New York City to Maryland.
In 2008, Alexandria Tyber, Marc Leitzel, David Kooharian, and Jae Shaughnessy cofounded Three Fish and a Ram Community Art Center, an arts organization determined to foster creativity, a passion for all artforms, and service to the community.
• University of Rhode Island, Kingston RI - May 2006
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Concentration in Drawing, Filmmaking, and Animation
GPA 3.83/4.0, Summa Cum Laude, Dean's List
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONORS
• Nominated for Rhodes Scholar Award
• 2006 President's Excellence Award for Film Media
• 2006 President's Excellence Award for Art Studio
• National Society of Collegiate Scholars
• PHI ETA SIGMA National Honors Society
• Recipient of Ryan Mone Scholarship
• 2011 Boston International Film Festival
• 2011 Boston Underground Film Festival
• 2008 Utopia Film Festival
• 2008 Boston Underground Film Festival
• 2007 Woods Hole Film Festival
• 2006 Rhode Island International Film Festival
• 2006 Living Proof Film Festival
• 2006 & 2004 Visualizations Film Festival
ART AND FILM DISTINCTIONS
• Group Exhibition (December 2011) – Chelsea Room
• Group Exhibition (November 2011) – Peter Louis Gallery, NYC
• Opening Exhibition (September 2011) – Peter Louis Gallery, NYC
• For Pastels Only (September 2011) – Cultural Center of Cape Cod
• Anything Goes Exhibit (August 2011) – Helltown Workshop
• National Juried Exhibit (July 2011) – Cape Cod Art Association
• Solo Exhibit (June 2011) – AS220, Providence
• Twilight (March 2011) – Falmouth Artists Guild
• 2010 Fall Juried Show – Falmouth Artists Guild
• Solo Exhibit (July 2010) – Unitarian Universalist Church of Falmouth
• 1st Place – Deviant Art 2009 Scripts to Flicks Competition
• Modern Times (2009) – Solo exhibit at Three Fish/Ram Gallery
•1st Place – 2009 Summer Juried Show, Cape Cod Art Association
• Small Works Show 2008 - Woodruff Art Center
• Presidential Showcase - Framingham College, MA, for Taylor’s Puppy
• 2007 Summer Juried Show, Cape Cod Art Association
• 2007 Summer Juried Show, Falmouth Artists Guild
• Dean's Choice Award, 2nd Place Animation, 3rd Place Experimental,
& 3rd Place Critical Essay - 2006 URI Visualizations Film Festival
• Dean's Choice Award & Excellence Award - 2006 URI Student Art Show
• Best of Show Prize - 2006 Barnstable County Fair
• 2nd Place Animation Category - 2005 URI Visualizations Film Festival
• Best of Show Prize - 2004 Barnstable County Fair
• Three Fish and a Ram Community Art Center, Mashpee, MA –
May ’06 to Present
Artistic Director, resident artist, class instructor, cofounder and board member
• Children's book illustration, Taylor’s Puppy, Author: Karen Capello
• Cape Cod Museum of Art, Dennisport, MA - Summer 2005
ARTICLES AND REVIEWS
• “Review: Leitzel and Billings at AS220,” Providence Phoenix, Greg Cook.
• “Artist Spotlight: Marc Leitzel,” The Sound, 2009 Jan, Pgs. 11-12.
• “Reviews from the Couch,” Boston Underground Film Festival
• “Student Earns Honors,” Falmouth Enterprise, Roberta E. Cannon, 3rd August 2004.
In Leitzel's scratchboard I Need No Soft Lights to Enchant Me, sun glows down through leaves upon a woman, glinting off her long hair and the shoulders of her floral blouse, as she closes her eyes. And that sun really seems to shine because Leitzel's command of the technique creates the electric effect of scratching light out of darkness.
Achingly personal and artistic piece... Acidic stab at modern man...